Calling all gluten-free cake lovers! With banana, date and spices, and coconut oil instead of butter, this is a surprisingly healthy cake and a great treat for happy taste buds and a happy belly. Enjoy!
- 200g dates or date puree
- 100ml water
- 3 bananas, mashed
- 50g coconut oil
- 3 eggs
- Juice and zest of 1 lemon
- 250g rice flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp vanilla powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ½ tbs cardamom
- Optional: 30g dark chocolate (70–85%)
- Preheat the oven to 170 degrees.
- In a mixing bowl combine date puree, banana, water, eggs, coconut oil, lemon juice and lemon zest. Whisk by hand or with an electric whisk.
- Add rice flour, baking soda, vanilla, cinnamon and cardamom. Turn to mix.
- Add the chocolate and turn.
- Grease a baking tin and add the mix.
- Bake in the oven for approximately 45 minutes.
- Insert a fork into the centre to test that the cake is fully baked. When the dough doesn’t stick to the fork, the cake is ready.
Now stop dribbling on the keyboard and go make it!