Having trouble getting your greens in? Need a boost of energy for the longer days? This delicious smoothie, with its healthy fats, can reduce stress, and it is perfect for giving you a boost of energy any time of day. The rich, creamy texture is a treat. The prep time is less than 5 minutes, so it’s a quick and easy way to start your day, stress free. Swap out that cup of morning coffee for this delicious, creamy, green machine.
1 banana (peel banana and freeze it for a creamier texture)
1⁄2 avocado (sliced and pitted)
1⁄2 lemon, juiced
125 g / 1 cup spinach, chard or kale
250 ml / 1 cup almond milk
1 to 2 tablespoons of ground flaxseed
Place into blender and blend until smooth.
- Flaxseed contains unsaturated omega-3 essential fatty acid, essential to repairing the lining of the digestive tract.
- Flaxseed has high fibre content, and is a great alternative source of protein (each tablespoon contains 1 – 2 g).
- Studies have shown that flaxseed, along with a healthy diet may reduce your risk of prostate or breast cancer.
- Zinc and iron from flaxseed can boost immunity.
- Avocados are rich in B Vitamins, folate, and Vitamin E. They also contain glutathione, which helps block intestinal absorption of bad fats which can cause damage to our bodies.
Why it works:
Stress is so prevalent in our day to day lives it’s important to find ways to combat this through mindful exercise and diet. Stress causes inflammation in the body. Healthy fatty oils, like those found in flaxseed help counter inflammation and also protect the stomach and intestinal lining.
Stress triggers a response in the brain, subsequently affecting the adrenal and pituitary glands, causing the release of stress hormones. These hormones trigger a digestive response, allowing the gut to become more permeable – causing the loss of healthy bacteria. By maintaining a balance of healthy fats in our diet, we can keep our digestive tract healthy and support adrenal function, alleviating stress.
To learn more about reducing stress or balancing your diet to improve your energy, join us for our upcoming Ayurveda, Yoga & Detox retreat with Dr Nayana Rao.
Upcoming Ayurveda Yoga & Detox retreat
Location: Villa Azul, Fuerteventura Date: 20 Jun 2015 – 27 Jun 2015
Instructor(s): Dr. Nayana Rao
Embark on a life-changing week towards true health and harmony through the ancient wisdom of Ayurveda and yoga. Discover your ayurvedic body-type and experience the healing power of an ayurvedic detox to rebalance your system. Learn from Dr. Nayana Rao, an Indian Ayurvedic doctor, taking home the knowledge and tools to maintain a state of balance, physically, mentally and emotionally.