Summer is in full swing and with it we all crave the need to feel cool and refreshed. As the Pitta qualities of these warmer months emerge, we naturally and instinctively feel the need to eat lighter or perhaps consume less to balance the heat, and to enjoy cooler foods and drinks as the temperature rises – particularly here on sunny Fuerteventura! It’s the perfect time for a detox!
With that in mind and as we look forward to our inspiring ‘Detox with Pilates and Yoga Retreat’ on 27th August, we are happy to share with you a delicious green smoothie recipe by our nutrition expert Jo that is the perfect tonic on a hot, summer’s day, as well being a healthy treat at any time in your life.
Jo’s ‘Avocado Super Smoothie’ is just that – super! It is packed full of life enhancing superfoods and nutrients, but also incredibly delicious thanks to tasty mint and vanilla flavours.
- Green smoothies offer a fantastic combination of nutritious vegetables, fruit and other ingredients, without losing any nutrients or fibre through a juicing process – you are getting all the benefits in just one glass!
- Avocados are an incredible superfood – low in saturated fats and high in heart healthy ones, this amazing fruit is packed full of potassium and high in fibre to support digestive health.
- Almonds regulate your blood sugar levels and reduce your hunger pangs ensuring you’ll feel full until lunchtime when enjoying this smoothie as a great breakfast on-the-go option.
- Spirulina is jam packed full of so many vitamins there’s really not room to list them! An amazing anti-oxidant and anti-inflammatory ingredient that you need in your life!
- A small handful fresh mint
- 12 almonds
- 300 ml water
- ¼- ½ avocado
- A pinch vanilla powder
- 5 dates (or 30-40 g date puree)
- ¼ -½ tsp spirulina
- A pinch of cinnamon
- 1 ice cube
- Combine all the ingredients in a blender and run until smooth – it’s that easy!
Tip: Add more dates if you want the smoothie to be sweeter. Enjoy!!
If you would like to enjoy the greater benefits of a week long detox we have just the thing with Jo Dombernowsky’s upcoming ‘Detox with Pilates and Yoga Retreat’ running at our stunning new Surya Retreat.
Detox with Pilates and yoga
Location: Surya Retreat, Fuerteventura Date: 27 August to 3rd September 2016
Instructor(s): Jo Dombernowsky and Valentina Parmigiani
You can detox your body and mind with detoxifying food, alkalising juices and strengthening, cleansing yoga and Pilates. Give yourself a boost to greater health and gain the tools and inspiration to continue with a more balanced lifestyle back at home. Led by a caring and warm team you will benefit from their experience, knowledge and support in this special week to bring wonderful changes to your body, mind and energy levels – all whilst enjoying the sun and beauty of Fuerteventura.